"... to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ... "
--Ephesians 4: 12
If there was just "one thing that you could do to improve your ministry, what would you do? The following list is offered as possible things that you can do to improve your ministry to others:
- Pray for someone who needs your prayers.
- Feed the hungry. Make a contribution to help eliminate world hunger or to a local food pantry.
- Share your faith. Tell someone what God is doing in your life.
- Visit the sick or home-bound.
- Read/study the Bible on a regular basis.
- Invite someone you know to come to worship with you.
- Reach out to someone with whom you have had a disagreement and seek to make amends.
- Practice hospitality. Become acquainted with someone you do not know very well.
- Thank someone who serves as your "role model" of the Christian faith for the influence that they have had on your life.
- Volunteer to undertake a community service project.
- Sign up to teach Sunday School.
- Become a mentor for someone "new to the faith".
- Give a hug to someone who looks lonely (with their permission, of course).
- Provide leadership for a group that would benefit from your knowledge and expertise.
- Forgive someone who has wronged you.
- Sponsor a youth to go to church camp.
- Model the "godly" life.
- Send a care of letter to someone and let him/her know that you are thinking about him/her.
- Serve as a greeter, an usher, a reader and/or an assisting minister at church.
- Contribute to the needs of the saints. Give an additional offering to help someone in need.
- Share your musical gifts. Join a choir or provide special music.
- Spend time listening to somebody as they share their biggest concerns and their deepest fears.
- Go on a spiritual retreat to "recharge your batteries".
- Practice good stewardship of the Earth's resources as you reduce, re-use, and recycle.
- Begin a Bible study in your home or place of work.
- Use the gifts that God has given you to do a "special project" in the community or around the church.
- Take someone out for a meal, not because you have to, but because you want to spend some time with them.
- Encourage someone to take whatever steps they need to take in order to deepen their faith.
- Become a "proportionate giver"-someone who gives a specific percentage of their income to support the work of the Church .
- Provide comfort to those who are bereaved.
- Show patience under "less than ideal" circumstances.
- Organize a small group around a common concern that people have.
- Tell your family and friends how much you love and appreciate them.
- Be enthusiastic about your ministry, your church, and your faith.
- Invite others to become involved in a "mission" about which you feel very strongly.
- Use your knowledge and expertise from the secular world to benefit the Church.
- Remember the Church and other benevolent causes in your estate plans.
- Write a letter to a politician asking their support ofGod-like governmental practices.
- Discover new ways in which you might become a "peacemaker" for someone else.
- Find out more about church missionaries and see what you can do to support their work.
- Give up "life-destroying habits" (e.g. smoking) and do more things that are "life enhancing" (e.g. exercise).
- Be more intentional about "making a difference" in someone's life.
- Start a "spiritual journal" by writing down Bible verses that are meaningful to you.
- Serve as a "crisis hotline" volunteer.
- Bring a home-cooked meal to someone who recently has returned home from the hospital.
- Share your "faith story" with others who do not yet know God.
- Engage in a ministry project that is "new" to you.
- Keep your word when you make a promise.
- Show mercy to someone who is hurting.
- Explain to others the difference God has made in your life.
What specific things can you do to "equip the saints for the work of ministry" or to "build up the body of Christ"?
What additional things can you think of to improve your ministry?
© 2010 by Creative Parish Resources, P.O. Box 663, Lockport, IL 60441.
Permission is granted to reproduce these materials for local use provided that each copy includes this copyright notice.